Rural areas present unique challenges and opportunities for individuals with complex needs and those providing their care. These environments may face healthcare workforce shortages, rising rates of opioid use, and geographical barriers to care. However, rural communities often foster close-knit social networks and an entrepreneurial approach to complex health and social issues.
Webinar: Promising complex care models in rural and frontier communities
The webinar featured speakers, Brittany Tenbarge and Mark McGrail from Cherokee Health Systems in Tennessee and Lynn Dorroh, Jo Campbell, and Susan Foster from Hill Country Clinic in California who discussed how their care models address barriers to healthcare in their rural and frontier communities. Presenters gave an overview of their respective organizations along with the tactics they have developed to best meet the needs of their communities.
- Lynn Dorroh, CEO, Hill Country Clinic
- Jo Campbell, Integrated Operations Director, Hill Country Clinic
- Susan Foster, FNP Medical Director, Hill Country Clinic
- Brittany Tenbarge, Behavioral Health Consultant, Cherokee Health Systems
- Mark McGrail, Director of Addiction Medicine, Cherokee Health Systems
Webinar date: September 17, 2019
Office Hours for Complex Care: Challenges faced by the rural workforce
In this month’s office hours session, we welcome Heather Kovich from Northern Navajo Medical Center and Carmen George from Community Outreach and Patient Empowerment (COPE) in New Mexico to discuss the challenges faced by the rural health workforce. Heather will give a short overview of her experience in rural health including recruitment and retention of providers and geographic isolation for both patients and providers and Carmen will give an overview of the COPE Program. This presentation will be followed by an open question and answer session for the remainder of the hour.
- Heather Kovich, Family Physician, Northern Navajo Medical Center
- Carmen George, MEQ Manager, Community Outreach and Patient Empowerment (COPE)
Office Hours date: October 9, 2019