This report from the Association for Community Affiliated Plans and the Center for Health Care Strategies examines Medicaid managed care contracts or requests for proposals (RFPs) in 40 states, as well as 25 approved Section 1115 demonstrations, identifies common themes in the states’ approaches, and proposes recommendations for federal policymakers. Recommendations include:
- Make it easier for vulnerable populations to access needed health services and care coordination.
- Enhance agency collaboration at the federal level.
- Provide additional guidance on addressing social determinants of health.
- Approve Section 1115 demonstrations that test strategies to address social determinants of health.
- Support outcomes-based payment for social determinants of health interventions.